Bellingen Library was proud to host several free events during the very successful 2021 Bellingen Readers Writers Festival in June.
1. Penelope Pratley a children’s author and illustrator presented a workshop for children on illustrating books as part of the BRWF Schools program. This session provided a step by step guide to how illustrations are done with plenty of opportunity for the children to practice and learn.
2. Saturday morning started off with a fun indigenous storytelling session by Micklo, a proud Gumbaynggirr man and language teacher (pictured below). An event for all ages he taught song, language and told many stories of Bellingen and the region.
3. Morris Gleitzman entertained the crowd with stories from his life and career and read us an extract from his upcoming book Always, the seventh and final book in his Once series.
4. Dr Jonica Newby presented her new book Beyond climate grief: a journey of love, snow, fire and an enchanted beer can. She spoke passionately and eloquently about her love of the snow country and the emotional turmoil of climate change.
5. Rebecca Jessen read poems from her debut poetry collection Ask Me About the Future and answered a range of questions about her poems, publishing and her PhD.
Thanks to everyone who came along and supported these events. We look forward to many more!