Let’s keep storytime fun for everyone.
Storytime encourages a love of stories, books and reading.
Here are a few ways you as a parent or caregiver can help make sure that every child (and grownup) gets the most out of storytime.
- talk to your child about storytime before your first visit.
- arrive in plenty of time to settle your child. – Young listeners can be easily distracted and late-comers become the focus of attention.
- join up everyone in your whole family and get a card each.
- join in the rhymes and songs that you are familiar with. – Set an example and your child will soon join you.
- switch off your phone and listen to the stories too – sharing stories helps develop language and listening skills.
- if your child becomes unsettled, please feel free to move away from the storytime area until he or she is settled again, then quietly re-join the group.
- craft is for kids. Develops your child’s fine motorskills
- choose some books and other library items together. – Library staff are here to help.
- read regularly to your children and open up magical new worlds.
- share songs and finger rhymes together.
- visit Storytime again and again!